October 7, 2016
Bloomington, IN – The Boys & Girls Clubs of Bloomington is hosting a CO awareness event in partnership with the LOK Wishing Tree Foundation, along with First Alert, a leader in residential fire and CO detection devices. The event will be held 3:30 P.M. – 6:30 P.M. Thursday, October 13 at 311 South Lincoln Street. First Alert is providing 20% discount on select carbon monoxide detectors.
A limited number of free CO detectors will also be distributed.
Lindsey O’Brien Kesling was 22 years-old when she died in her Scottsdale apartment from accidental carbon monoxide (C0) poisoning. Scottsdale Fire Department responded to the 911 call in November 2010.
“Losing a child for any reason breaks a parent’s heart, but losing them to something that could have been prevented makes the loss so much heavier to bear,” said Dot Kesling, Lindsey’s mother. Lindsey’s family transformed their grief into something new and beautiful – the Lindsey O’Brien Kesling (LOK) Wishing Tree Foundation. Part of the foundation’s mission is to raise awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it, particularly in the coming winter months.
“Kesling fell victim to a silent killer,” said Scottsdale Fire Marshal Jim Ford. It is hard to recognize CO poisoning because symptoms mimic other illnesses and include nausea, headaches, dizziness, weakness, chest pain and vomiting. In more severe poisoning cases, people may experience disorientation or unconsciousness, or suffer long-term neurological disabilities, cardiorespiratory failure or death. An estimated 90 percent of households do not comply with the NFPA recommendations for the number of CO alarms in homes. In most cases, the poisoning happens at home,” Ford said.
Learn more about protecting your family from CO poisoning by visiting www.lokwishingtree.org or www.bloomington.in.gov/fire.